The anti-amnesty organization Numbers USA lists 5 bills in the House of Representatives that will give real “comprehensive immigration reform”:
- The SAVE Act sponsored by Heath Shuler (D-NC) mandates E-Verify to ensure that employers cannot hire illegal aliens and increases border security and interior enforcement.
- The CLEAR Act sponsored by Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) clarifies the inherent right of states to enforce immigration law, which will prevent the Obama administration and activist judges from interfering with Arizona’s SB 1070 and similar state and local laws.
- The Birthright Citizenship Act sponsored by Gary Miller (R-GA) will end the absurd practice of giving automatic citizenship to the children of illegal aliens.
- The SAFE Act sponsored by Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) will abolish the diversity lottery system that Sen. Hatch admirably aims to abolish in his bill.
- The Nuclear Family Priority Act sponsored by Phil Gingrey (R-GA) will end chain migration for extended families. While most countries prioritize immigrants who have skills, America gives preference to family reunification including adult parents and siblings. They in turn can sponsor their extended family, creating a chain reaction of unlimited immigration. This bill will limit family reunification to children and spouses of legal immigrants and US citizens.
Additionally, we need to make across-the-board cuts on legal immigration. In 2009, we issued over 1.1 million permanent legal visas and nearly one million temporary work visas despite growing unemployment. Until Americans are back to work, we need to dramatically reduce these numbers to free up jobs for American citizens and prioritize the visas we do give towards immigrants who will not be a public burden and cost the taxpayers billions of dollars.
Unfortunately, the Republican establishment is not backing these bills or policies. The GOP leadership stood united against many of the pro-amnesty and anti-enforcement activities taken up by the Obama administration and Democratic Congress.
We can thank them for exposing Obama’s attempt at amnesty via executive order and stopping the DREAM Act amnesty. But if Republicans take back Congress, Americans will expect them to do more than just stop bad bills. They must also take proactive steps to secure our borders, enforce our laws, and stop the flood of foreign workers.
Virgil Goode Represented Virginia’s 5th Congressional District from 1997 through 2009.
Pages: 1 2