California takes parole violations very seriously. That’s why the State will be providing amnesty to nearly 10,000 parole violators.
The Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation intends to begin a massive review next week of more than 9,200 outstanding warrants, starting with individuals who were convicted of nonviolent crimes and absconded from supervision. Over the next eight months, parole field offices across the state will be given lists of missing felons, 200 at a time, to review and determine if retaining them on parole “would not be in the interest of justice.”
“It’s mass amnesty for felons,” said Assemblyman Jim Nielsen (R-Gerber), a vocal opponent of Gov. Jerry Brown’s plans to ease state prison crowding by shifting responsibility for low-level offenders to counties.
Callison said the state has no idea how many parolees may be released from supervision. Nielsen, former chairman of the Board of Prison Terms, estimated it would be 70%.
“This is as close as just letting people go as we’ve come,” said Todd Gillam, a Northern California parole agent and vice president of the Parole Agent Assn. of California.
Those criticisms come as the corrections department reacted to a report in the Fresno Bee on Friday that the man who killed two people at a chicken processing plant in Fresno earlier this week, then killed himself, was released from parole over the objections of his parole agent. The gunman, Lawrence Jones, was freed from prison in June 2011 and discharged from parole in May, even though his parole agent deemed him a danger.
Obviously none of this will apply to Mohammed filmmaker Mark Basseley Youssef who is serving a year in Federal custody on the orders of Obama, Clinton and their cronies determined to prove that whole UN statement about the future not belonging to those who slander the prophet of Islam, supposedly because of a parole violation.