- FrontPage Magazine - http://frontpagemag.com -
The BDS Nazis are Back in Berlin
Posted By Daniel Greenfield On September 19, 2012 @ 4:07 pm In The Point | 16 Comments
79 years ago Nazis stood outside Jewish stores daubed with Stars of David urging good Germans to boycott them. Now Judith Butler, a BDS enthusiast of boycotting the Jewish State, showed up at the Jewish Museum in Berlin to be feted for her achievements in hating and persecuting Jews. Butler is a member of the American Anti-Jewish Left and her presence is a telling sign of how the axis of Anti-Semitism has shifted so completely from the right to the left.
The internationally renowned Jewish Museum in Berlin hosted a podium discussion on Saturday with US academic Judith Butler, who renewed her calls to boycott Israel. It appears to be the first anti-Israel event held in the Jewish museum since its opening in 2001 with the aim of exhibiting the 2,000- year history of Germany’s Jews. At least 700 people attended the event.
The German taxpayer-funded museum’s decision to showcase the speaker Butler in the capital city, which during the Nazi period served as the launching pad for a boycott movement against German-Jewish businesses, has raised eyebrows about the management’s direction of the museum.
Professor Gerald Steinberg, who heads the Jerusalem-based NGO Monitor, termed the cultural institution the “Berlin anti-Jewish Museum.”
Butler triggered intense criticism in Germany, Israel and the US because of her 2006 comment at a “Teach-in Against War “ event that “Understanding Hamas/Hezbollah as social movements that are progressive, that are on the Left, that are part of a global Left, is extremely important.”
What Butler’s case demonstrates is that
1. There really is no distinction between her kind of attacks on Israel and support for Islamic terrorism
2. The left is continuing with its old program of attacking Zionism, even when the genocidal implications of that are painfully clear
3. Anti-Semitism is as common on the Jewish left, as it is on the left in general
4. Holocaust memorialization is not in and of itself a defense against Anti-Semitism when that memorialization seeks to universalize the experience with a view to incorporating it into the larger program of the left.
Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://frontpagemag.com
URL to article: http://frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/the-bds-nazis-are-back-in-berlin/
Copyright © 2009 FrontPage Magazine. All rights reserved.